Intentions Unit Evaluation


After many ups and downs throughout this unit I can say that I am happy with my final collection. Especially my finished placemats, the colours turned out so vivid and I think they really represent my style.
With this unit I really wanted to gain an understanding of my own design process and really be able to recognise my practice, but I have found myself just getting lost in terms of who I am as a textiles designer. I have always known that I want to produce designs for interiors, but this unit I have realised that I need to broaden my approach to what I can apply my designs too. Until my tutor had mentioned designing placemats I would have never even thought of it and I think this really benefited my work throughout this unit.

Over the summer I spent a few moths traveling around Southeast Asia and Bali and this was great inspiration for my summer project drawing up tropical botanical plants that I discovered through my travels, which I carried all the way through this project. I have a strong body of drawings that I am proud of, and I’m happy that my collection represents this but even though I had so many drawings, I still didn’t really have any idea where I saw my work going and this was something that really held me back throughout most of the project. It took me a long time to actually decide what I wanted to do but after a lot of research especially looking at the designer Junko Shimada and photographer Sarah Illenberger I started to see what I wanted my final collection to represent.

I regret not sampling enough in this unit, I feel as though I haven’t experimented as much as I would have liked too. I could have taken my work a lot further and if I had the outcome may have been very different, I have really let myself down by not sampling and experimenting more. I also regret not keeping on top of my blog as much I would have liked too, it’s something that I’m struggling to get into even though I know it will benefit my practice massively.
 
This unit I decided that I didn’t want to sample onto fabric with the nature of my outcomes to be placemat designs. The colours didn’t come out as well I would have hoped on my final mounted collection. They should have been as bright as the placemats themselves, but after testing many different methods I couldn’t afford to waste any more money on printing, which lets down my final collection massively. I think I suit printing onto fabrics more, this way I can bring more to my prints by adding stitching and giving them a more tactile nature. I know I could have experimented way more if I had chosen to print onto fabric by dying fabric or using the laser cutter, but this is something I am going to take into consideration for the next unit.


Overall even though I am happy with my designs and final collection I know I could have done more to benefit myself and my practice but I have learnt from this and I will be carrying this knowledge into the rest of my time at university.

Comments